I want to go from one end of our capital to the other.
Unfortunately there is no direct metro service to the place where I want to go.
I must take first the metro, then a trolley bus and lastly a bus.
I go to the metro station and take a ticket. Then I descend the escalator and walk on to the platform.
I board a train. The train dashes off. Very soon I get off.
I rise up the escalator and walk out into the square.
Here I take a trolley bus and occupy a back seat.
The conductor says: «А11 fares, please».
I tell him where I want to go and pay for a ticket
Then again I change for a bus.
All the time I look out of the window.
«What immense traffic!» I think.
«What a lot of motor-cars, buses, lorrie.s!»
At last I get out at the last stop but one.
I walk two blocks of houses and see the house I want.
I have arrived at my destination.
- Will you tell me1 the best way to the Kursk railway station?
- I see you are not a Moscovite. I shall have to explain2 it to you in detail.
- In fact it is the first time I have come to your capital. So please tell me everything in detail.
- Well, the simplest way is for you to take the trolley bus3 from here down to Arbat square, where there is a metro station. From the Arbat station you go direct to the Kursk station.
- Will I have time to reach the Kursk station in forty minutes? You see I have got to catch my train4 which leaves fifty minutes from now.
- Certainly. You will arrive at the station in some twenty five minutes.
- So I have not got to hurry?
- There is no special need to hurry, but of course you must not be too slow.
- I suppose crossing the street may take some time.
- Not too much. But be careful! Mind, you pass the street only under the green light- And if you suddenly see the yellow light while you are crossing, stop and wait in the middle of the street, because in a few seconds the red light will flash up. Otherwise you maybe run over by a car. For your own good observe the rules of street traffic.
- I wonder if it is the militiaman who switches on the light or the lights work automatically.
- In most cases it is the militiaman but on some busy throughfares and avenues the traffic is controlled automatically.
- Thank you very much for the information. I will do as you direct me.
WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS